I get asked often “How do you think of new recipes” there are many ways, I think of flavor profiles that I think would marry well, raid my fridge and pantry and see what I can put together so I never waste food, inspiration from something I had seen a photo of and want to make it healthy or sometimes (in this case) I literally wake up with the idea out of no where.
I opened my eyes this morning and here in St. Louis we are in the middle of an ice storm. The government offices are closed, no trash, no mail, gyms are closed, several businesses shut down and drivers are encouraged to stay off the roads so it’s the best time to get in the kitchen and create!…and maybe I’ll finally take down all my Christmas decor today (ugh!)
This zoodle bowl packs a ton of flavor is is super filling too!! What I love about it is that it can be a super fast dinner too!! You can use grilled chicken leftovers or batch grill it on the weekends and have it ready to go.
Then while I prepped the other ingredients I had the bacon in the oven. If you don’t cook your bacon in the oven- you are missing out! Its ZERO clean up, doesn’t make the entire house smell and me having long hair (ladies, you’ll understand this).my hair doesn’t smell like bacon until the next hair wash day!
Here is how I cook my bacon in the oven:
1) Line a lipped baking sheet with a sheet of foil.
3) Place baking sheet in COLD oven.
5) Then remove the pan and place bacon on a paper towel lined plate to absorb any excess grease. When the grease drippings on the foil are cool, simply roll the foil in a ball and toss in the trash. MAGIC! 🙂
For more quick and easy recipes like this, check out my cookbook The Fresh Farmhouse Kitchen, Clean-Eating Comfort Food. Available HERE
- 6oz sliced grilled chicken (approx. 1.5 chicken breasts)*I keep mine simple- season with salt and pepper, it’s great!
- 4 strips precooked center cut bacon
- 6C Zucchini Noodles “Zoodles” (I use this to make my noodles)
- 6 Small whole mozzarella balls, sliced into quarters (50g total)
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese Shreds
- 2 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2C Cherry tomatoes, sliced into quarters
- 2 Cloves minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
1) Using a nonstick pan, lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
2) Add your zoodles and minced garlic to the pan. Toss to combine and allow to cook 1-2 min.
3) Next, add in your basil, cherry tomatoes, bacon and grilled chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine. Continue to cook until zoodles are tender.
4) Finally, plate your dish and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese shreds and quartered mozzarella.
Serve and enjoy!
- Serves: 3
- Calories per Serving: 234
- Fats: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Protein: 38g
- Sugar: 7g