Cereal is one of my all time favorite things. I’m not quite sure why, but I love it. However it lacks protein, you have to sit and eat it, have a bowl & a spoon and milk…and that is not portable.
Although I’ve seen people eat some crazy stuff in their cars with a plate and fork while driving—I’m not that brave..nor crazy! These bars combine all the best of breakfast- cereal, a sweet little fix and with these you get protein!! These an an excellent way to start your day and also your children's day. And YES-protein is safe and good for kids!
I have shared my favorite recipe combo, however you can get creative and use your favorite type of cereal. I recommend using something like Barbara’s brand Rice puffs (I used the Gluten Free Honey Rice for mine), Cheerios, or Chex cereals. Then you can pair your favorite flavor protein powder for your perfect flavor mix.
I chose the honey rice puffs and vanilla protein powder for a vanilla honey profile. You can pair peanut butter cereal with chocolate protein, vanilla cereal with strawberry protein powder, and on an on! It’s a great way to mix it up! Plus- if you don’t quite have 2 cups of the cereal, feel free to use it as a way to “marry” your near empty boxes together so you won’t have waste.
You’ll notice in the recipe I use Almond butter. The reason I like this over peanut butter, is almond butter doesn’t pull that strong nut flavor. It’s more subtle in flavor. However, if you want that chocolate & peanut butter combo then you could also do something like the chocolate rice chex then use smooth peanut butter and it will be like eating a Reese’s for breakfast! 🙂
So dig in, get creative and enjoy this yummy and filling breakfast treat!
Please note- the nutrition listed is based upon the cereal I used. Your choice of cereal can altar the macros.
- 2C Gluten Free cereal such as Barbaras Puffins Rice puffs, Cheerios or Chex
- 1C + 2Tablespoons Vanilla Ice Cream Protein Powder. I used 1stPhorm Level-1
- 1/2C Honey
- 1/2C Almond Butter
- Loaf pan lined with wax paper
1) In a medium mixing bowl, combine protein powder & cereal. Gently mix to combine.
3) Pour almond butter mixture over cereal and fold in with a spatula until evenly combined.
5) Place in the freezer for 30 min. Remove and slice into 7 equal bars. Place bars in an airtight container or package individually in sandwich baggies and place in fridge until you’re ready to enjoy.
- Serves: 3
- Calories per serving: 234
- Fats: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Protein: 15g
- Sugar: 18g (from the honey-natures sugar :-)